(NOTE: This posting originally appeared in the now-defunct Last Days Bulletin blog. It is Copyright 2011, Bay State Conservative News. Follow me on Twitter – @Sunking278)
Happy trails to the last known U.S. veteran of World War I: Frank Buckles has passed away at the age of 110. Thank God for all of those brave people who have fought and died for this country. Losing the last link to what was seen at the time as ‘the war to end to all wars’ is a major milestone in American history. Mr. Buckles was not only a hero during WWI, but during World War II, as well. In 1941, he was taken hostage by Japanese soldiers while doing business in the Philippines, and spent more than three years as a prisoner of war. May this great American rest in peace. I humbly thank him, and all who served alongside him, for the sacrifices they made for liberty.
Monday Morning Headlines:
- Fox News: Georgia lawmaker’s anti-abortion proposal could punish women for miscarriages – Definitely a step or two (more like three or four) too far. Rep. Franklin’s proposal is over-the-top and over-the-line. Furthermore, doctors – let alone mothers – cannot always prove the cause of a miscarriage. Miscarriages are all too often an occurrence, with about a third of all pregnancies ending in such manner. Creating a government database to keep track of all of these miscarriages is a serious affront to human liberty in and or itself. Threatening innocent women who were victims of unexplained miscarriages with the death penalty is the stuff of Islamic dictatorships. Off-the-charts lunacy.
- Boston Globe: From the Oscars to sports to ‘Idol,’ we’ve become a little too all-inclusive – Everybody’s a winner now. We give medals to losing little league baseball teams, we have ten million country music awards shows, and nobody can be considered a ‘loser’ any more. It’s only polite, after all. Celebrating excellence is so yesterday.
- Reuters: What happens in a U.S. government shutdown? – If the current crop of Republican legislators in Washington can prove themselves able to learn from history, they’ll do everything in their power to prevent a shutdown. Short of capitulating. Leave the burden to Obama & the Democrats.
- Ted Nugent: When the going gets tough, Democrats run – There is a fundamental difference between governing society and controlling society, as the creator of ‘Cat Scratch Fever,’ of all people, expertly points out here. If this 1970s rock star (not a particularly good one) can figure this out, why can’t our members of Congress and Obama?
- USA Today: Libya’s Moammar Gadhafi under threat as never before – The dictator’s days are numbered, especially after Obama ordered him out of Libya. Expect to see several more of these coups in Arab countries in 2011.